Sunday, October 21, 2018

Week 18-Oct. 8, 2018


Nihao fam and friends!

When we meet people, sis larsen usually has them guess where we are from and no one ever says America, it's like they think we would be embarrassed or offended if they said that first, or if they said that and they weren't from there...but we've gotten Russia, Israel, Europe, England, and a lot of Canada. So interesting!

This week was awesome! 
Weird things: I really dislike eating squishy things (never been a fan of gummy bears or jello) but like everyone hear loves squishy things and its killin me. I'm luckily kinda getting over it little by little, I like zhen zhu (boba things) now, but there's so many more oddly sweet but mostly tasteless squishy things I've eaten this week. I also ate squid twice this week, but that was yummy because it was like deep fried. ;) Also, we sat in a 3 story McDonald's this week while we drank Wintermelon tea with zhen zhu. We also have dragon fruit a lot which every member will warn you about before no matter how many times you've had it before because it turns your pee bright pink... So those are my weird food stories of the week Haha
Other stories: We were walking down the street and this guy on a bike rides past holding an umbrella and on his shoulder was a CAT! just like draped over his shoulder like no big deal! No problem! He's just biking with his umbrella and his big orange cats just chillin! A lot of people also have dogs that ride on their mopeds between their feet- so well behaved! 
We killed 3 cockroaches this week... We screamed so loud I'm surprised no one called the cops (our neighbors can hear everything) but now our kitchen smells like Raid even though today we did some deep cleaning. At the end of the night we always role play a contact, so sis larsen was pretending to be a person on the bus and I was contacting her when she just all of a sudden screams cuz this huge cockroach dashed across the floor. so funny so funny. 
We sat next to a lady in a 7-11 and I tried to start a conversation by saying I liked her dress but I totally butchered saying dress but luckily my charades worked and then she replied "dress?" in English and I was like yeah! Haha luckily sis larsen took it from there and the lady set up an appt with us! She ended up canceling but it was fun to feel like I was a part of helping us get an appointment, even though I only said one sentence not even all in chinese! Haha
English class went so well this week! We talked about occupations and practiced mock interviews and then the spiritual share was about using our skills to help others and sis larson's kids class came and sang I am a child of God for us to share their talents! So cute!
One of the highlights of my mission so far was last night at my first recent convert fireside! Not only did I get to see some dear friends I hadn't gotten to see since the MTC, but I sang a medley of Savior Redeemer of my soul and Called to Serve with sis larsen and another sister (trio) and it was soooooo awesome to be a part of! The Spirit was so so strong and everyone could feel it, whether or not they knew english! My heart was just bursting with love for my Savior and I felt so deeply dedicated to His work and proud to wear His name! I was feeling pretty nervous before because of everyone there (including President Peterson) but as soon as the piano started, the Spirit filled the room, and we sang as one. I love singing because I feel like it in a way purifies my heart and expresses my testimony with eloquence I never have when just speaking words. :) 
Robert got baptized on Saturday! So happy! His parents aren't members, but his older brother was baptized too and they dont oppose the church. They actually really appreciated the change they saw in their older son so they would send Robert to his aunts house (bishops wife) every weekend to take lessons from us and attend church! We are really hoping they will be willing to meet with us or come to an activity or church with their sons soon!
Wendy unfortunately got sick and so her baptism is postponed until 10/20. 
Today we got to go with a member to Jiufen, a popular tourist site where there used to be a big gold mine (I think run by the Japanese or something). I'll attach some pics :)

Scripture of the week:
3 Nephi 9:13 "O all ye that are spared because ye were more righteous than they, will ye not now return unto me and repent of your sins, and be converted, that I may heal you?" I just like the end of this scripture because I like to think about repentance as a healing process, a joyful process. It's kinda daunting thinking about all the things I need to repent of, but when I think if it as just letting Christ heal me, one thing at a time, it is so much easier to begin. Of course, repentance requires a lot of faith and work to change, but I know that Christ can make us so much better than we are on our own and I am happy to try to become what He wants me to become as long as He's by my side. Invitation: Hand something over to the Lord this week and try your best to feel the healing power of the Atonement. I'll be trying with you! :)

Love you all so much!
Sending prayers and hugs!
Have a fantastic week!
Sis. Jensen






No comments:

Post a Comment

She's Home!! Dec. 19, 2019