Sunday, January 27, 2019

Week 33-Jan. 21, 2019

Silver linings and rainbows!


Dear fam and friends!

This Sunday was a little crazy. When we got to church, a member of the bishopric asked us sisters to speak next week (I of course freaked out a little inside and realized it was gonna be a long week) and then we just continued mingling with the members until church started. Then while the sacrament was being passed, he came back and said something to us and we both like whispered "okay" but then we both looked at each other after he left and were like "did you understand what he said? no...we will ask him after sacrament meeting...ok" and so we calmly partook of the sacrament knowing we could clarify after the meeting. Lo and behold, after the sacrament he gets up and announces that the missionaries are gonna give talks! I think I must have looked pretty scared cuz I made eye contact with Bishop and he looked concerned... but luckily my fantastic companion just happens to be basically a professional public speaker and gave an amazing on the spot talk while I gathered some thoughts and a couple scriptures to share and calmed down a little bit. I gave a very humble, sincere testimony and then Elder Halverson spoke for the rest of the 20 minutes (elder lee was sick and had no voice). Sometimes I wish we didnt have elders in the ward, but yesterday i was VERY grateful it wasnt just me and Sis Hayden! Unfortunately, we accidentally forgot/didnt realize we had ward Council after church and so we went home and the elders called us halfway through our lunch to see where we were. Oops. However, from Sunday I had a renewed testimony that God is looking out for us and will help us accomplish the things He commands us to do, according to His will and time. 

The highlights of this week though were two visits: one to a single mother of 4, the other to an older couple in our ward. The single mom we planned to do a sort of game and spiritual share and such which all went pretty well, but the kids were kinda all over the place and it wasnt very powerful, but then the kids kinda split and did their own thing and we got talk to the mom for a little on her own. She told us about how she's been sick and busy recently and eventually was in tears as we listened to her. Being very limited in speaking ability makes us fantastic listeners ;). We were able to share a couple scriptures with her and then we sang Nearer my God to Thee for her and prayed together. It was a special moment. I went into the house thinking we were gonna get each one of her kids to commit to inviting a friend to church by a certain date, but left realizing that God sent us there that day just for her. The second visit was originally to go to a less actives house (who turned out did not want visitors) but I recognized the street and so we called the older couple that lives there and asked if we could stop by for a couple minutes and sing for them. We sang Nearer my God to Thee for them as well and the grandmother started crying while we sang and afterward expressed a similar situation~their family had encountered some difficulties recently and she knew God had sent us to let her know He is looking out for them. 
I am grateful that even though we can't speak Chinese super well and sometimes miss meetings and get lost every once in a while, we can still be instruments in the Lord's hands to lift and encourage others! No matter how inadequate or useless you may feel, the Lord has a work for you to do and as you strive to use and discover the gifts and blessings He has given you, you can be instrument in His hands to help others. The Lord doesn't expect perfection, just progress. ðŸ™‚❤
With that, the scripture of the week is Alma 26:12 "Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."


Have a fantastic week!
Sending hugs and prayers!
Sister Jensen 


Dinner with Vivian 
YSA FHE
Huang family dinner
Bike ride by the river 
My cute companion (& douhua)








No comments:

Post a Comment

She's Home!! Dec. 19, 2019